Create Equitable Opportunities for Students
Research shows that we're all born with the ability to innovate, but not everyone has equitable access to opportunities to hone and practice those skills. One way to address this opportunity gap is to introduce students early and often to examples of innovators from the past and present.
Build a New Classroom Culture
During the 2022-23 school year, The Henry Ford will select up to ten K-12 educators to explore and implement ideas to create a new kind of classroom culture where students feel empowered to think and act like innovators, inventors, and entrepreneurs.
2023-24 Cohort Information
Check this page in spring 2023 to apply for the next cycle of the Residence program.
This hybrid program spans an entire academic year, starting with an on-site summer kick-off at The Henry Ford and followed by virtual check-ins throughout the school year. Learn more about this program below.
What will the Educators-in-Residence do?
- Connect with a cohort of like-minded educators
- Share and assess current classroom techniques, activities, lessons, and approaches with the cohort.
- Work with cohort, THF education staff, and experts to find stories, tools, and resources that can help build a culture of creativity.
- Test out new techniques, activities, and resources in the classroom and capture student impact.
What is the commitment?
Each educator-in-residence will be…
- Available to be onsite at The Henry Ford July 19-21, 2022 (21 hours)
- Willing to test new ideas and/or lessons in your classroom during the 2022-23 school year.
- Able to attend 4 virtual check-ins during the 2022-23 school year to reflect on how well new ideas or lessons worked with students. (4-5 hours)
Who should apply?
An ideal Educator-in-Residence:
- Is a certified K-12 educator, student teacher, curriculum director, instructional coach, or youth services provider in any subject area in the United States.
- Wants time and support to assess needs in the classroom and design potential solutions with a dedicated cohort.
- Is open to new ideas and giving and receiving constructive criticism
- Is passionate about exploring primary sources, artifacts, and stories to embed in the classroom.
Why should I apply?
Educators-in-residence will receive benefits like…
- $500 stipend
- One-year inHub Premium membership ($99 value)
- One-year membership to The Henry Ford ($65 value)
- SCECHs for Michigan teachers and letter of completion for all educators